Tuesday, September 4, 2012

5:15 a.m. I hear chattering over the monitor. Will slept through the night! Of course, I didn’t go to bed until past 11 p.m. so I am not exactly feeling well-rested myself, but still: I’ll take it. I head into the nursery and feed Will, who is starving. While he eats, I peruse knitting patterns on Ravelry — I’m trying to find something to do with this lovely laceweight yarn that I have. (I was originally going to make a citron shawl but another [honest] look at the pattern told me that I was not going to enjoy making it. [Seriously. I mean, look at it. Beautiful shawl, but not my ideal knitting.]) I save patterns for a lace scarf and one for a cute hat and decide to study them both more later. I have a feeling the hat will win out.

Anyway, after Will finishes nursing he drowses off and I put him back in his crib, and head back to bed myself. This putting-him-back-in-his-crib thing is very new and so far, I think I like it; I miss him next to me in the early morning, but I definitely sleep better with him down the hall. That being said, it then takes me about half an hour to fall back to sleep myself. And in the meantime, Steve leaves for work.

7:30 a.m. More chatter! A glimpse at the monitor shows Will rolling onto his tummy in bed. I drag myself out of bed (having slept for maybe an additional 30 minutes) and down the hall to see my beaming baby. I love our morning routine, simple as it is — nursing, then a new diaper and onesie, and then Will keeps me company while I brush my teeth and put in my contacts. We lounge around together for a while, taking our time, and it is 8:30 before we get downstairs.

8:30 a.m. Once downstairs I put Will in his new exersaucer while I release the kitties (who sleep in the garage) and feed them and give Teaker his shot. I also open all the blinds in the house, something I do every day — I fundamentally do not understand people who keep their blinds closed. It makes me crazy. After that, I eat half a banana and get dressed in running clothes — today we are going stroller running! Before we leave, I practice lugging the stroller out of my trunk (my kingdom for an SUV?) and opening and closing it, a process which also involves removing and reattaching the wheels. Of course, I realize we could just go running around the neighborhood, but I have my heart set on running the Greenbelt trail today and that’s where we’re headed. (Also, despite the fact that my neighborhood connects to a few larger communities, the running routes are pretty limited. It’s a sad life.)

Because it now takes me three times as long to get out the door as it used to, we don’t get to the Greenbelt until after 9 a.m. and I realize I am perilously close to naptime. I optimistically think he might wait until 10 to nap, but it’s wishful thinking. He falls asleep halfway through our run and snoozes for 20 minutes while I push him the two miles back to my car.

This picture was taken on Monday in Warrenton. Doesn’t Will look thrilled? Like my new race shirt?

Is it too soon to declare eternal love to my jogging stroller? I have only used it twice, so if so, let me declare instead my infatuation. We are very happy together.

10 a.m. Will wakes up when I stop running, but I still am pretty sure if I put him in his crib he’ll nap for an hour while I shower and get us ready for our lunch date. However, when I attempt it, no dice. This baby is cheerfully rolling around in his crib, grabbing toys, giggling, and blowing raspberries (his new thing).

Well, this is new. One thing I have consistently been able to count on with Will is a long morning nap! Apparently that 20-minute snooze was all he needed. I decide he’s happy and comfortable in his crib, and turn on the monitor while I have a quick quasi-breakfast and take a shower. He spends that time stretched out on his belly playing with a teething toy.

One of my very favorite things, but this is no yogurt-and-granola breakfast feast.

11 a.m. An early lunch for Will before we head out! Today we are meeting my beloved former boss, Kelly, for lunch. Before we leave, I email my sisters to express my mystification at Will’s lack of morning nap. I just hope he can hold it together during lunch — maybe he’ll go back to his newborn roots and sleep in the stroller. (Yeah right.)

11:30 a.m. We arrive downtown. I still feel like a chump getting a parking ticket for the garage instead of cruising on in with the rest of the monthly parkers, but that feeling is quickly extinguished when I magically find parking right away. It’s a miracle!

In the office, I get to say hi to all my old friends and catch up with some of my coworkers before I meet Kelly. It is so nice to see everyone — I worked with a really wonderful group of people and I miss them. But I am happy to report to them that Will and I are loving life at home! My friend Blair even comments that I look like I am glowing. Later, Kelly tells me the same thing: she says I look noticeably different than I did for all of last year (not counting the fact that obviously I am not pregnant anymore). She says that I look so, so happy, and I can’t disagree.

We have lunch at Eppie’s where I can be reunited with the curry chicken salad and pumpkin bread. It’s wonderful to have the opportunity to talk shop again, for lack of a better term, and I get some updates on a few of my former clients. Meanwhile, Will is tired — too tired to play with any of the toys in his car seat, but apparently not tired enough (or too stimulated) for sleep. Before heading home, I take advantage of our proximity to quickly run into the Blue Ridge Eco Shop to look at their composting supplies. (I keep thinking that one day Steve and I are going to wake up and discover that we’re hippies, but I am enjoying every step of our descent.)

1:00 p.m. We head home and I am greeted by this sight:

He was even snoring.

I bring Will upstairs and change and feed him, but it looks like I’m unlucky twice. I swaddle him and place him in his crib, but he’s suddenly so full of overtired energy that he busts right out of his swaddle blanket and kicks his legs, arching his back and rolling around. Eventually I decide to dress him in a onesie and socks and see how he might do sleeping without the swaddle. (For whatever reason, he still seems to need a swaddle during naps, but does fine in pajamas at night.)

2:30 p.m. It is a long struggle, but after about half an hour Will starts blowing angry raspberries and fussing more in his crib. I pick him up and rock him, and after fifteen minutes or so, he finally falls asleep — over an hour after I first tried to put him down. Whew. I am suddenly exhausted and after throwing a load of diapers in the wash, I spend a necessary few minutes downstairs decompressing. I catch up on some email and chat with Steve on the phone.


3:00 p.m. This happens:


It’s time to bring out the big guns. I take off his socks and onesie, rock him for a few minutes, and then swaddle him as tightly as I can and put him in his swing. We have been doing really well with naps in the crib, but desperate times call for desperate measures! This baby needs a good nap, and I have my fingers crossed that the swing is up to the task.

And happily, it seems to be. Will passes out after just a few minutes and I head downstairs to either take a nap myself, or make a a much-needed cup of coffee.

Hi there.

I’ve recently renewed my love for French press coffee and today I go all-out with a big pot of fully caffeniated Shenandoah Joe coffee. Over the last few weeks I’ve been slowly reintroducing caffeine and fortunately, Will doesn’t seem to have noticed. However, I do. I am exhausted at this point, but there’s still a lot to do around the house. Steve encourages me to take a nap, but I opt for the caffeine instead and [whew] it helps A LOT.

Fueled by coffee, I set to cleaning up the kitchen. I boil some peaches to peel, wash some dishes in the sink, wipe off the countertops, and do a little organizing.

Still life with peaches

When the kitchen is to my satisfaction I retire with my coffee to watch my girl Ina make some shortbread cookies for some of her fabulous Hampton friends. Watching it makes me desperately want some cookies to go with my coffee, but I settle for a handful of m&ms.

After Ina, I pick up the living room a bit and vacuum, an activity that for whatever reason I find highly satisfying. I can’t pretend to understand or explain this, but it’s true. If it didn’t involve picking up so much baby-related paraphernalia off the floor, I would vacuum every day. (Or at least I claim I would.)

5:30 p.m. I hate to do this, but I have to wake up Will. While Marc Weissbluth might repeatedly remind us to “never wake a sleeping baby”, I am going to choose to disregard this advice so that my baby will want to sleep tonight.

Look how huge he is in this thing. I love it.

I’m sorry about this, baby.

I just want you to be able to sleep tonight!

I feed him while perusing some of my favorite blogs, Simple Bites (strawberry Meyer lemon marmalade??) and Northwest Edible Life (homemade yogurt!) I am currently trying to figure out a contraption to make my own yogurt at home (crock pot with heating pad?) and also adding to my ever-expanding list of things I want to can. It’s too late in the season for strawberries or Meyer lemons, so I set the idea aside for now.

After Will is finished nursing, I set him in his crib to “help” me fold his laundry and diapers. For some reason I really hate folding my own laundry, but his I don’t mind; it’s probably because everything is so tiny and there’s just much less of it per load. Will helps out by grabbing at onesies and burp cloths and stuffing them into his mouth. Steve comes home while we’re hard at work on this, and he whisks Will away to play downstairs while I finish stuffing inserts into clean diapers.

Still life with diapers

Downstairs, this is happening:

and this:

Just in the last week, Will has started to figure out how to play with the (many, many) things on his exersaucer. It’s so fun for us to watch.

6:30 p.m. Dinner tonight is leftover homemade pizza topped with peppers, olives, ground sausage and tomatoes, and a big salad. While we eat, Will rolls around on the floor.

I love this baby.

U.S. Open action is rained out tonight, so Steve and I start last week’s Project Runway episode. We’re very good at being completely wrong when it comes to guessing the judges’ reactions.

7:15 p.m. Bedtime! I feed Will, poke around facebook, check my email, catch up on my google reader. He falls asleep with no problem and I tiptoe out of the room.

Downstairs, we finish Project Runway while I work on my sock. I go from here:


To this:


So far, sock knitting has been everything I wanted it to be and more. Before this I was making a baby blanket for Will which turned out great, but it was row after row of garter stitch and it’s nice to have a bit more to do now.

In addition to knitting, I do some push-ups and sit-ups (trying to build some upper body strength, as though hauling around a 15-pound baby isn’t enough of a strength workout on its own) and, of course, eat some ice cream. Life is good.

10:30 p.m. Bedtime at last!

11:30 p.m. Still awake. No more 4 p.m. coffee for me!

So that’s basically a day in the life of Will and me these days. Some days are different, of course — for one thing, most days he naps more easily — some days we run errands, other days we don’t leave the house; many evenings I cook; diapers get washed about every other day. I usually run during his morning nap on the treadmill. But one thing remains constant, though: I have ice cream basically every night.

PS. Whew: Sorry this was so long! I guess I just like to be (very, very) thorough.